Just so you know, if you click on a product or link on thebaltimorecateringcompany.com and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission.
Easy Bagel Recipe
Join us as we take you through the art and science of crafting the perfect bagel, right from the heart of Baltimore’s culinary scene, and just in time for your Yom Kippur break-fast. Let’s get baking!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp granulated or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil or spray
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- 2.75 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp water
- Activate the Yeast: In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar and salt in the warm water and yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes, or until it becomes frothy.
- Mix the Dough: In a large bowl, combine the flour. Mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the Dough: Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour as needed.
- Dough Rise: Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth or saran wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Shape the Bagels: Punch down the dough and divide it into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then press your thumb through the center to form a hole. Stretch and shape the dough to form a bagel shape.
- Boil the Bagels: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Bring a large pot of water to a boil ad the honey and stir. Lower the bagels into the water, boiling a few at a time for about 1 minute on each side. Be careful of the boiling water, wear a baking mitten. Remove with a slotted spoon and place them back on the baking sheet.
- Apply the egg wash: Brush each bagel with egg wash.
- Add Toppings: If you’re using toppings, now’s the time to sprinkle them over the wet bagels
- Bake: Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the bagels are golden brown.
- Cool and Enjoy: Remove the bagels from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack for a few minutes. Once cooled, they’re ready to be sliced and enjoyed!