Contact Us For Your Next Event
Just so you know, if you click on a product or link on thebaltimorecateringcompany.com and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission.
A lobster roll is a type of sandwich typically made with chunks of lobster meat mixed with mayonnaise and seasonings, served on a toasted hot dog bun. It is a popular dish in New England and is often served at seafood restaurants and food trucks. The lobster meat is usually cooked before being mixed with the mayonnaise and other ingredients and is served chilled or at room temperature. Some variations may include additional ingredients such as celery or lemon juice. The sandwich is often served with a side of chips, coleslaw, or fries.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Free recipes and tips and tricks on how to make your food elevated and exciting for you and all your guests.
- 1 pound cooked lobster meat, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 brioche hot dog buns
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- Fresh parsley or chives, for garnish (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, celery and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on the inside of each hot dog bun and toast them in the skillet until golden brown.
- Cook the lobster in a cast iron skillet with two tablespoons of unsalted butter for 5 minutes, until they change color to white and are fluffy
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lobster meat, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Fill the buns with the lobster mixture, dividing it evenly among the buns.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or chives (if desired) and serve immediately.
- Note: You can also serve it with a side of fries or coleslaw for a complete meal.
- Enjoy your delicious Maine Lobster Roll!
New England lobster rolls and Maine lobster rolls are both made with lobster meat mixed with mayonnaise and seasonings, and served on a toasted hot dog bun. However, there is a subtle difference in the preparation and presentation of the sandwich.
A New England lobster roll typically features chilled lobster meat that is mixed with mayonnaise and seasonings, and is served on a top-split, butter-grilled hot dog bun. This style is often associated with the Eastern seaboard of the United States.
A Maine lobster roll, on the other hand, typically features warm, lightly dressed lobster meat that is served on a steamed, buttered, and toasted hot dog bun. This style is associated with Maine, which is the largest lobster-producing state in the United States.
So the main difference is that a New England lobster roll is chilled and mixed with mayo, while a Maine lobster roll is warm and lightly dressed.