Contact Us For Your Next Event
Just so you know, if you click on a product or link on thebaltimorecateringcompany.com and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission.
Spanakopita is a traditional Greek dish made with phyllo dough, spinach, and feta cheese. The phyllo dough is layered with a filling made of spinach, feta cheese, and seasonings such as onion, dill, and nutmeg. The dish is typically baked in the oven and can be served as a main dish or a side dish. Spanakopita is often enjoyed as a snack or appetizer, and can be found at many Greek restaurants and bakeries.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Free recipes and tips and tricks on how to make your food elevated and exciting for you and all your guests.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 packages of frozen spinach 10oz fresh spinach leaves
1/2 onion finely chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
1 handful chopped fresh parsley
1.5 handfulls of chopped fresh dill or 2 tblspns of dill weed spice
8 ounces feta cheese crumbled
1 egg lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound phyllo dough sheets thawed
1 cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the spinach to the pan and cook until wilted.
- Remove the spinach from the pan and let it cool. Wring out excess water.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, parsley, and dill, and cook on medium heat until the onions are translucent about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl along with the chopped spinach, feta cheese, and egg.
- Unroll the phyllo dough onto a flat surface. Keep the phyllo covered with a damp towel when you’re not working with it.
- Lay out one sheet of dough horizontally. Brush the melted butter over the dough.
- Add a second layer of dough on top of the first, then brush the second layer with butter.
- Place 2 tablespoons of filling on one end of the dough strip. Cut the dough into 3-inch wide strips between the filling. You should be able to get three triangles from each sheet of phyllo dough
- Fold one corner of the dough over the filling to make a triangle shape.
- Fold the strip of dough over itself the same way you’d fold a flag
- Repeat the process
- Arrange the triangles 1 inch apart on the sheet pans. Brush melted butter over the top
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.